Dental Cleanings & Checkups Near You
It is important to get your teeth cleaned regularly to maintain optimal oral health. A buildup of plaque and tartar can lead to the formation of cavities and gum disease. While daily brushing and flossing are a good way to keep the plaque and tartar in your mouth to a minimum, they cannot completely eliminate them. At a professional dental cleaning, a dental professional will properly remove any accumulated plaque and tartar from your mouth and provide you with a personalized treatment plan to ensure that you maintain a radiant, healthy smile for years to come. At Ipswich Bay Dental, we are proud to provide professional dental cleanings and checkups in Ipswich.
Why Are Dental Cleanings and Checkups so Important?
When you eat and drink, a clear, sticky layer of bacteria coats your teeth. This sticky layer is referred to as plaque. When allowed to stay on your teeth, plaque turns into a hard substance called tartar, which is challenging to remove on your own. The longer that tartar stays on your teeth and along your gum line, the higher your risk of developing gum disease and cavities.
In their early stages, tooth decay and gum disease most often do not show any symptoms, causing patients to allow the situation to progress until they are in significant amounts of pain. When you visit Ipswich Bay Dental for professional dental cleanings and checkups near you, our dentist can detect and treat any early signs of gum disease and tooth decay before they severely affect your oral health.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning and Checkup?
When you visit our team for professional dental cleanings in Ipswich, the process will include the following:
- Scaling your gums and teeth to remove all plaque and tartar
- Polishing and flossing your teeth
- Providing a fluoride tray or rinse to strengthen your tooth enamel and protect your teeth from future tooth decay
Once your dental cleaning is complete, our dentist near you will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your oral health. During their examination, they will:
- Take x-rays of your mouth to monitor the development of your teeth and spot any underlying oral health issues
- Visually inspect your mouth for early signs of tooth decay and gum disease
- Perform an oral cancer screening
- Ask about changes to your medical history
- Provide you with a treatment plan
How to Look After Your Oral Health at Home
Having a healthy, strong smile is essential for your quality of life and self-confidence. To keep your mouth healthy, our dentist in Ipswich recommends that you:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for a minimum of two minutes
- Floss once a day
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash, especially after indulging in sugary snacks
- Visit Ipswich Bay Dental at least once every six months for dental cleanings and checkups
If it has been longer than six months since you last had a dental cleaning and checkup, it is a good time to visit our team at Ipswich Bay Dental. We are happy to provide our patients with high-quality dental cleanings and checkups. Please contact us to book your appointment today!